Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Camino Day 33, Tuesday, July 7: O Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostela

Camino Day 33, Tuesday, July 7: O Pedrouzo to Santiago de Compostela
Numbers: 12.46 miles per Garmin GPS. 32,833 steps, 120 floors, and 262 active minutes per Fitibt. The Garmin data for today's walk is here and yesterday's walk is here. Total miles on The Camino Over our 33 days: just short of 500.
So, yes, we made it. And, here's proof.....our multi-stamped peregrino passports with Deb holding a Compostela - certificate of completion (we actually each got two...one that has our distance traveled). As an added bonus, the certificates are individualized with our Latin names on them. Deb's is Deborah and Dave's is Davidem. I have no idea what they do with names like Chelsea and Tiffany.
And, we only had to wait in line about an hour
Dave's voice:
The last waltz and an easy one except for two rotting plank bridges. Who knew people would actually be walking on them? (Note from Deb: Bridges can be my Achilles heel. Not all bridges. I'm cool running over the Golden Gate Bridge, for example. But, I almost went into cardiac arrest on a swinging bridge in China, and a wooden plank bridge earlier on this trek almost brought me to a halt when it crossed over a freeway 500 feet up. Dave said it was only 30 feet above ground, but I knew better. Having two plank bridges less than 3k from our finish here was not my favorite thing. At least it wasn't high up).
We cruise out in the semi-dark at 6:30 and make our way along a good track under eucalyptus trees, seeing some familiar faces (New Zealanders, two young Japanese guys who always rushed past us on uphills, then lagged on the flats) and lots of newbies with clean packs and white legs. In the old days (I.e., pre-Sarria) we saw Germans and French, too, but now it’s almost all Spanish. The Germans seem to always feel they have to go through Belgium on their way anywhere West. The French have decided that the bread’s not good enough here, the whole idea of walking is meaningless and, after all, the French invented cheese and sexual perversion. The Italians were last seen getting excited about anything and everything: “Dental hygiene is important!” “No! It is very important!” “You’re both wrong! It’s very, very important!” “You’re crazy if you think that!” “NO! You’re crazy!” “Let’s argue at high volume!” “No! Let’s argue at very high volume!” “NO!”
The Spanish often seem confused, thinking they’re either Italian or French. Or both. Most in the small towns and countryside have been polite and sympathetic. Here in a cosmopolitan place like Santiago, a town that would wither to a pueblo were it not for the “tourigrinos,” we are greeted by no one and our “Buenos Dias” is unanswered. Bolly. We’re here for it, not them, and we’ve gotten everything we hoped for and more.
We weave through the Cathedral district, getting our certificate of completion (Yes, there is such a thing. And, yes, the sucker will be framed.) and finding our hotel, a nice reward. Old habits die hard, however, and we’re soon off to lunch, laundry, and mercado before settling down. There are old churches to look at, museums to visit, and a practice walk to the bus station to try, but all that can wait until tomorrow. Today is about what we’ve done, not what else there is to do.
Who knows? Maybe a hot game of Scrabble later. Soon, it’s off to Malaga to dump all that weight we were supposed to lose during the last 33 days.
Perhaps more narrative another day. For now, a few pictures....and...for those of you who have followed our trek: thank you!
Yes, I'm excited to leave our hotel this a.m. I just don't show it.

One final picture of Dave ahead of Deb


Final coffee stop
10K to go!


Getting closer!


And closer


In the city!
And the Camino continues....


And, a taste of the city...more when we are rested


We took the Camino Francais...there are many Caminos to Santiago

22 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy to see you guys finished safe and sound. I'm going to go back and read about your adventure, so much to catch up on. Looking forward to reliving memories and seeing what you guys have been up to this past month. Enjoy Malaga! It's an amazing place, I'm sure you'll love it. Talk very soon. Love, Tara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Tara. It was an amazing experience and we are looking forward to another day here, then Finisterre, and Malaga. We are staying at the same place you did and imknowmit will be great. Can't wait to "talk" to you. Thanks again for everything.
      Hugs,
      Deb and Dave

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I have enjoyed your blog. Wonderful writing and pictures.

    Te mereces ser peregrinos muy orgullosos !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Mary, I had to use google translate, but got it! Thank you. You and Gerry are going to have an awesome journey and are going at a great time of year. I won't give you any advice unless you want it. It's a wonderful trek - both physically, mentally, and emotionally.
      Hugs,
      Deb and Dave

      Delete
    2. When you get back home, I would like to have any "Must Avoid" or "Must Do" advice. Gracias!

      Delete
    3. Will do, Mary. What I can say for now, though, is to leave any issues about technology behind. I got a little too worked up in the first days about wifi not working like I thought it should. I let it go pretty quickly. If you can enjoy each day as you walk, you'll be fine!

      Delete
  3. Congrats to the DJRs -- wonderful story telling -- sorry, your adventure will not be available to read each day. Can't wait to hear more in person -- Barb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Barb! We will see you soon, I'm sure. Will call when we get back. You know that you could do this while working. Not necessary to start in France. Give yourself two weeks to 17 days....more later...thanks again for following our journey.
      Hugs,
      Deb and Dave

      Delete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! What an amazing accomplishment. I'm so proud of both of you. You deserve a nice rest and at least one decent bottle of wine. Be safe! Love, Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! We are staying here another night if you want to spring for a decent bottle of wine. We also like champagne. :-) Thanks again for all of your support and nice words! Love you!!
      Xoxoxo
      Deb and Dave

      Delete
  5. WOW! What a GREAT accomplishment. Congratulations and many, many thanks for sharing your journey -- I laughed, I cried, I drank glasses of wine in your honor. I am looking forward to your reflections on the experience. And to reading about the rest of your trip. Hugs to both of you -- Elaine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Elaine, for your kind words, and for following our journey. Hope to see you and Marc soon! Hugs to you also!...and glad you drank some wine too!!
      Deb and Dave

      Delete
  6. "Today is about what we've done, not what else there is to do".......Deborah and Davidem, I am soooo soo very happy you are done and smiling and safe and healthy! What an adventure and I am so excited for you both for such accomplishment. 33 days, 500 miles, omg my butt, I'd die! But you guys, kept going and kept it humorous, fun, and exciting! Well done! Hurry back home, so I can hug you both, so tight your tan would rub on mine..Haha! wait,you guys are looking like more tan than me!!!! See you soon! Enjoy the museums, the churches, the mercado, laundry and the practice walk to the bus station....just be! You are sooooo done! Luvvv the photos! You guys should get shirts with that Camino sign, haha! Congrats! See yah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorina,
      Thanks so much (also got your email). My dear, you would have kept it humorous and fun too. Will hug you when we get back, but am hugging you, Ness, and the pups from afar. Today has been museums, parks, and, of course, too much food. See ya soon!

      Delete
  7. Wow!!!! Congratulations on this huge accomplishment!!!! Come home safe, ya hear?! Love you both, Arna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, cuz! Enjoying what each day brings and will return with a relaxed mind and spirit. Love you too!
      Hugs and Xoxox
      Deb and Dave

      Delete
  8. A big congratulations to you both! What an amazing journey. I looked forward each morning drinking my coffee and reading about the day's adventure. I loved the humor and stories and pictures. I think it is very cool what you both did and can't wait to see/hear more about it. Safe travels for the remainder of your trip and home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Dianna. You are so sweet. Yes, we hoped that others could share the journey and hopefully get some laughs along the way. We can't take ourselves too seriously!!

      Delete
  9. Congratulations on your "feet"! It was the best. Thanks for sharing your story along the way. Loved every read. Looking forward to seeing you two soon. XXOO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paddy! Can't wait to see you and catch up. And, thank you for also for following along and also sharing the Wyoming man's story too!

      Delete