I said I'd put together a wrap-up post. I didn't realize how difficult that would be. I thought we'd give insights on do's and don'ts on the Camino, and/or maybe post some favorite experiences or pictures, talk about the wonderful people we met - both Caminars and others in Spain/France, talk about how we might have changed (did we need changing? :-), etc. I still might do that, but today's not that day.
What I do know is that walking the Camino is an unreal experience - unreal in its simplicity. You wake up, walk, do a little laundry, eat, rest, and sleep. Repeat 33 times. Each day is similar - and unique. It's also safe. Reducing one's life to a few basics may seem limiting, but is actually liberating. When we reached Santiago, I was happy, but also melancholic, and still am to a certain extent. Not to worry, I'm ok, and very much appreciate the comforts of home and of our life. But, even Dave and I have responsibilities: we really need to feed our cats.
All I can say is, walk the Camino, or something like it that appeals to you - and, preferably, scares you a little - and you'll understand. (95 percent of our blog readers are capable of doing so. All it takes is interest and a willingness to not only look foolish, but to be foolish.)
Thanks for reading.
Deb... and Dave

Oops Dave!
ReplyDeleteOne of the early slips and slides in the mud! Actually, the only one, thank goodness!
DeleteHugs,
Deb
you finished your 500 mile journey. I finished my year/journey as PTO treasurer at the same time. hmm. Liberating for me to get all that stuff out of my home and not to have that burden any more. ;)
ReplyDeleteI am glad you are home safe and am looking forward to seeing you in person.
Love,
Beth
Thanks, Beth. Glad you're done with the PTO treauser stuff too. Alwaus good to let go of volunteer gigs when they become a burden. Wise choice! Hope to see you soon. Xoxox
DeleteDeb
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteIt is difficult to summarize one's feelings when returning from something like the Camino! It takes some time to decompress, but don't wait too long before trying to put that summary into perspective, otherwise it may get filed where all those other feelings hang out. Anyway, welcome home and looking forward to seeing you soon! ;-)
ReplyDeleteThanks, Dan. I agree. I may end up journaling to myself and/or sharing with a few others including those who have done it. Hope to see you soon or when you get back from your many travels! Enjoy!
DeleteDeb and Dave
Welcome back! I enjoyed reading your posts. From your photos and reflections i sense that you accomplished a beautiful, uplifting feeling of peace in both body and soul. Nature as church, meditation through steps. Matilda
ReplyDeleteThanks so much, MLo. Dave was going to call you yesterday, but I don't think he got around to it. Hopefully, this week! I love your "nature as church" and "meditation through steps" comments. Was the former said by someone like Thoreau? In any event, I really like it and may quote it, if you don't mind. Thanks for all your support and your care package!
DeleteHugs,
Deb and Dave
Both of you are an inspiration to me. I may even set my sights higher now. Thank
ReplyDeleteyou for sharing your adventure, making me feel apart of it.
Mia
Mia,l
DeleteYou are too kind. Thank you for your nice words and friendship...and more!
Hugs,
Deb
Enjoyed every bit of your journey. It did bring a smile on my face everytime I read what you guys did or what went on on your day. Thank you for sharing and thank you for showing that being foolish is cool and fun. Haha! Glad you guys are back safe and enjoying the comforts of home. Now, go feed the cats! :) See yah! Lorina
ReplyDeleteLorina, thank you for reading and following our journey, and all my foibles, for that matter. Yes, we finally fed the cats. :-) See you soon on our "date."
DeleteDear D+D -
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed the hell out of reading about your adventure and experiences and L'dOL many times !! I guess I was on his shit list again this year because Santa didn't bring me the new feet I asked for - even in my Cliftons I can't even think of doing 1/10 of what you guys did - you're my heroes!!
Wishing you both a healthy new year and safe adventures ahead
happy trails,
another deb
Hi Deb,
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for stopping by and getting some laughs! Wishing you much joy and adventures too - whatever they may may!
Hugs,
The other (another another :-) Deb
I was holding off on my comment until I completed the full 494 mile Camino de Santiago Frances. Today is that day. I'm gonna go out, order lots of alcohol, and be foolish. Cuz that's what you both probably did. Buen Camino. 💪
ReplyDeleteAbsolutely!!! Well done!! You, MJ, Jeremy, and the whole group rock! Yes, be foolish!!! (And yes, lots of alcohol!)
Delete