Friday, May 29, 2015

Newport

We drove from Ashland to Newport yesterday, a 5 hour drive. The night before, we saw a play called Fingersmith, based on a book by Sarah Waters. Lots of fun with twists and turns. Set in the 1860s, you get a merging of Dickens with a bit of erotica. :-) OSF is the play's premiere and I can see it going places. All the stuff that audiences love. And, like all of OSF's plays, the staging is fabulous. I haven't read the book, but now it's loaded on my kindle. The BBC also did an adaptation several years ago with Sally Hawkins, Rupert Evans, and Imelda Staunton. Great cast so I'm sure it's good also. We have two plays left for Sunday: Much Ado About Nothing and Long Day's Journey Into Night. I'm sure they'll be excellent too. Then, it's an early morning flight home Monday (5:00 am!!!!) and off to Europe the next day.
So, Newport has great running weather. But, as for sunbathing weather, not so much. High tomorrow (day of marathon) is scheduled to be 60 with a low of 50, and probably cloudy, much like today and many days on the Oregon coast. At least it's not raining! A big change from Ashland which, in the mid 70s, was shorts weather.
Not exactly So. CA beach weather
This Newport sporting goods store seems to specialize in many things!

Today is a relaxing day and we are waiting for our friend Dianna, who is flying in from Dallas to Portland and then driving here (2:45 drive). We'll hit the small expo/packet pickup for the race tomorrow - scheduled for 3-5 today. Gotta love these small hometown races. Dave and I are both signed up for the marathon. He's going to see if he can change to the half, and I think I will too. I don't want to head to The Camino already worn out.
More of Newport

Adieu for now. If anyone reading this has the time to get to Ashland, I highly recommend it. Those of us on the West Coast are lucky to have this place nearby. And, for any of my running pals, it's known as a great trail running paradise, so it's not just the plays and 60's culture. Literally, no reason not to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment