Monday, June 1, 2015

Final final preparations and last thoughts on Oregon

We got up at 3:00 am this morning for our 5:00 am flight from Medford (through Portland) to San Diego. Getting up at 3:00 am is never fun for most of us, but it's particularly not fun when one has gone to bed at about midnight. After returning to Ashland from Newport on Saturday, we had two plays Sunday. The matinee was Long Day's Journey Into Night, considered by many as one of the top five American plays, and Much Ado About Nothing, a bit lighter than Journey. The former was excellent but I'll probably see it only once. Well written and great performances, but what a downer. Who knows..maybe I'll change my mind. I've seen Death of a Salesman more than once. So, Much Ado was at 8:00 and we were going to have a short night anyway, but at the beginning of Act 2, something strange happened. One of the actors dropped to the ground (fainted?). At first, we weren't sure whether this was part of the story (didn't seem likely), and then, as the actors froze and one literally said, "Is there a doctor in the house?", we knew this wasn't part of any play. The actor was able to get up and exit with assistance, but the play was halted temporarily. A few minutes later the stage director said a call had been made to the understudy and he would be there in 10 minutes. As it ended up, the delay was about 45, and we got home close to midnight.
I had run the marathon in Newport the day before. It's a nice race with local charm and usually cool weather. Dave was hoping to change from the full to the half but it didn't work out, so he became our support team. I say "our" because Dianna, our friend from TX, also ran it. It was nice seeing our dear friend once again.
Our flights home today were uneventful, and our backpacks were pretty much ready to go. Of course, we completely unpacked them and repacked to make sure. Did a load of wash, walked to lunch to get some steps in, and we are calling it an early night. I'm sure we'll have some last minute anxiety attacks, but that won't happen until I'm at the airport and realize that I've forgotten something that can only be purchased in San Diego. Yeah, right. Good news: for the nth time in a row, we've gotten TSA pre check. Score!! I guess it pays to be old and to not look like you're doing drugs or to look like you've done too many in the past and are done. "No terrorist risk with these two....waaaaay too far gone."
Anyway, a few pictures of Ashland and Newport.
Dianna and Deb in front of Newport Lighthouse
Deb and Dianna Newport Bridge
More Lithia Park

Excessive wine and ice cream aren't conducive to maintaining one's weight (even if one runs a marathon) and when I stepped on the scale when we arrived home and had finalized our packs, I thought the pack weight had increased by four pounds. Sigh.....it wasn't the pack.
Indulging in Ashland at our new favorite ice cream place
Enjoying wine (and dinner) once again
Dave has talked a little about Ashland before, but even if you gain a few pounds and don't get enough sleep, this place is well worth visiting whether you want to see Shakespeare or not. It's a quaint town with so much to offer. And, the women are smart too: I only saw one who didn't wear sensible shoes. For that reason alone, it's worth visiting.


No comments:

Post a Comment