Thursday, June 4, 2015

Biarritz to St. John Pied de Port

All I can say is that we arrived safely in Biarritz. On the connection from Paris to Marseille, I sat next to a guy who had body odor so bad I really thought I was going to puke. I don't want to be negative at the start of our trip, but this was bad even by European standards (I say that only because my friend Shei said "welcome to Europe." :-)
On our next leg after a five hour layover, things were fine. We now only have to to tolerate smokers. Ok......time to get into zen mode. We got to our hotel safely via a taxi with a taxi driver who had lived in the states from birth until she was 9 so no problem in being understood. Dave told me to lighten up on saying to people, "your English is really good." Ok, point taken. We slept like the dead until about 3 am when my body clock didn't know what happened and I was awake on and off until 6:30. Dave seemed to sleep fine...his body clock was on French time apparently.
We had a nice continental breakfast at our hotel (a whole basket of breads and pastries which we devoured! and set out to see the charming Basque beach town of Biarritz
Yummy breakfast
Dave enjoying!
The town only has 25,000 people, but I'm sure that it swells to many more during the summer. Nice beaches and great weather along the Atlantic. We had planned to take a bus, then train to our starting point an hour away (St. John Pied de Port) where we will start our trek tomorrow (6/5), but the hotel clerk said the train wasn't running. Gee ,nice that the website was current - NOT. She gave us the bus schedules (2 buses) and we toured the city and had lunch before we had to catch our buses. Here are a few pictures of our morning/lunch in Biarritz.
Beach sign
Runner along esplanade
Part of market area
Just thought this guy was cute
Dave wondering what I have in mind for trip
Dave enjoying lunch (salmon)

Ok, it's 10 pm here, and we're both tired so our trip and sights in St. John Pied de Port will wait until tomorrow (hopefully).













4 comments:

  1. Pretty! Pretty! Funny, on the stinky guy, and where's the dislike button on the smokers???? Haha! Deb, when the "English is not really good", smile and nod...works all the time...haha!
    Lorina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another good reason to keep deodorant in your backpack and a can of Lysol when you come across more stinky people. Be safe! Love, Carol another good reason to keep deodorant in your backpack and a can of Lysol when you come across more stinky people.

    ReplyDelete